The team at RRSA St. Louis hopes all of our blog readers had a great Thanksgiving yesterday. Today we are going to go over how the right kind of gutter and downspout system can play an essential role in protecting your Greater St. Louis home from the elements. By directing water down from your roof and away from your foundation, gutters and downspouts help prevent problems such as roof damage, flooding, foundation issues, and water damage.
At RRSA St. Louis, we provide expert gutter installation and repair services, including gutter guards. As your local gutter contractor in the Greater St. Louis area, we can help you get the right solutions to keep your home fully protected from water damage.
When RRSA St. Louis does the free inspection of your home to determine the best positioning of gutters and downspouts if this is a new installation job, we will be looking at the slope of the ground near your house. This will help our professional gutter and downspout installer decide where the water show be directed to minimize the damage it can do to your structure. The exact design of your gutter and downspout system will depend on a number of factors, so working with an experienced professional like RRSA St. Louis is the best idea to ensure optimum efficiency of your gutters and downspouts.
If you have a gutter system on your house that is not working properly, you could find that water is backing up onto your roof – where it can do major damage. To protect your Greater St. Louis roof long term, homeowners need to make sure that water is getting off of it as quickly as possible. By having a good gutter system installed, and then caring for that system with regular maintenance, you should be able to get water off of your roof fast enough to prevent it from doing any kind of long-term damage.
Dealing with water is one of the most important things that you can do in the care of your house. Water has the potential to be incredibly damaging when it is found in places where it doesn’t belong, so using gutters and downspouts to control it successfully is a wise choice.
Key factors to consider when choosing gutters & downspouts
Older gutters can often be difficult and costly to repair, which is why many homeowners elect to replace their gutters instead. Modern gutters offer a wide variety of options to be considered, which are outlined below:
- Materials: Modern gutters are typically made from aluminum, as aluminum gutters offer a great combination of affordability, durability, and design choice.
- Color: Aluminum gutters offer the best options for color, as they are factory designed in a wide variety of colors and can be painted any color you want.
- Style: There are several different types of gutter profiles. Aluminum gutters are often formed in a “K” profile that includes a flat back section and a curved front. Half-round gutters are curved the whole way through and are sometimes be found on older houses.
- Size: K-style gutters typically come in 5-inch and 6-inch sizes. The larger size is usually specified when the roof area being drained is especially large and/or steep. Our gutter experts will help you determine which size is best for your house.
- Gutter guards: Gutter guards are an increasingly popular addition that provides excellent protection for your home. Also known as gutter screens, these covers prevent anything other than water from entering your gutters, eliminating clogs and cleaning.
- Additional drainage options: Depending on the layout of your home and yard, you may need a downspout extension to carry roof runoff away from the house. Many of these simply extend out over the yard or garden, while others consist of buried pipe that drains to a dry well or daylight outlet.
Call us today to set up your appointment for your free home inspection so that we can help you decide what kind of action needs to be taken when it comes to your gutters and downspouts.
Serving Greater St. Louis, Chesterfield, St. Charles, O’Fallon