Today the RRSA St. Louis blog would like to turn a bit philosophical. With the steady rain predicted for the Greater St. Louis area over the next few days, we wondered about how that type of rain affects us as humans. This article from Ambient Mixer describes the fascinating ways that steady rain affects our minds and souls. The article asked the question of why the sound of steady rain is so relaxing. One suggestion from that article is that the sound of rain is due to the womb element. From the moment of conception, we are surrounded in our mother’s womb by water. Another cause of steady rain being so relaxing is due to rain operating on certain stress-relieving wave frequencies.
All of that is very interesting and illuminating information. However, as much as our bodies and minds tune into and enjoy the sound of steady rain, what kind of effect does it have on your roof? Water is one of the most powerful forces in nature, and the fact is that more damage can often be done by constant, steady rain than by a sudden downpour, and we will explain why.
Constant water intrusion will slowly but steadily work its way down from the attic area of your Greater St. Louis home to the foundation of your property. This can compromise the structural integrity of your house and pose a fire threat from shorted wires. Steady water damage can also result in rapid mold growth, which, in turn, may lead to serious health issues. As you can very well see after a bout of steady rain a roof leak must be addressed asap. To make sure you don’t miss this discovery, we have listed below the most common signs that your roof is leaking:
- Water seeping into the home during heavy rainfall or when the snow is melting;
- Water spots or discolored areas on ceilings and walls;
- Darkening of ceiling paint;
- Peeling paint around skylights or dormer windows;
- Cracked or bubbled plaster;
- Crumbling drywalls;
- Wood decay in the attic, or around skylights and dormer windows;
- Decaying or stained soffits and fascia;
- Granules collecting in the gutters;
- Curling or cupping shingles;
- Decreased home energy efficiency;
- Deteriorated indoor air quality;
- Musty smell in the attic;
- Mold on attic insulation, ceilings, etc.
If you notice any of the above signs don’t hesitate to call RRSA St. Louis. We offer FREE roof inspections, roof repair, and roof replacement. In the meantime, set your souls free in the coming days with the soothing sounds of the steady rain in Greater St. Louis.